Your Javascript is DISABLED. This site is best viewed with javascript enabled.

What is needed for an NMS, NMP

Quite a lot of information is required to complete a NMS/P. Good farm records should provide most of it. Nutrient information is in two categories, Nutrients Produced and Nutrients Used.

We do require good farmstead maps or aerial photos. Some municipalities have excellent aerial photography that is very useful for a NMS / P. These maps/photos can be used to show your field identification system as well.

A spill contingency plan for your farm (what would you do in case of a manure spill) is also required.

Nutrients Produced
  • Floor plan of existing and proposed livestock barns and manure storage. Most barns are presumed to be full most of the time.
  • MSTOR calculation (an OMAF program that determines volume of manure that would be produced).
  • Nutrient analysis of manure and documentation to verify effect of feed additives on manure nutrient content. Some default values can be used but they are generally higher than you would like.
  • Documentation that adequate hauling equipment is available.
Nutrients Used
  • Field maps showing accurate acreage, slopes, distances to neighboring houses, stream locations and buffer strips, tile outlets, tile inlets (catch basins), known wells.
  • Soil samples representing 25 acres or less and be not more than 3 years old. The sodium bicarbonate test is required. Grid sampling is not required. Default values can be used but are higher than you would like.
  • Planned crop rotations for the next five years.
  • Crop yield records. Default yield values are your township crop insurance yields. Proof of yields of more than 120% of that can be used.
  • Manure use agreements to spread manure on neighboring land if you don't have enough.


Crop Quest Inc.
Consultants Servicing all of Ontario
P.O. Box 357
74 Sylvia Street.
Mitchell, Ontario.

Toll Free: 1.866.630.2767
Office: 519.348.1121
Fax: 519.348.0030
Location: Contact Us